ISI Statements and Letters Concerning Statistical Ethics
The ISI has undertaken action in specific cases. An overview of the ISI letters, statements and discussion papers is given below:
- Third Annual Report of the Good Practice Advisory Committee (GPAC) of the Hellenic Statistical System
The report presents the status of the implementation of principles 1 to 6 (institutional environment, such as the principles of Professional Independence, and of Impartiality and Objectivity) of the European Statistics Code of Practice in the Greek statistical system, covering the period 2015-2016. More>>
Dated 26th January 2017
- ISI Statment on ELSTAT
How can work of the highest professional calibre and ethical standard lead to prosecution? More>>
Dated 15th September 2016
- Open Letter from ISI on matters related to judicial proceedings in Greece
The ISI has published an open letter regarding the judicial proceedings in Greece against Mr Andreas Georgiou, the President of ELSTAT, and comments from two former ELSTAT members about the organization of an Open Meeting entitled ‘Intrusion of the judiciary in the course of the production of official statistics’ during the World Statistics Congress in Hong Kong. More>>
Dated 16th September 2013
- The ISI issued a Statement to express its profound disappointment and serious concern over the prosecution of Mr Andreas Georgiou, President of the Hellenic Statistical Authority (ELSTAT) and two of his ELSTAT Managers.
Supporters are invited to endorse the statement by subscribing here. The names will be published on the website.
Dated 28th February 2013
- Letter by the ISI President to the President of the Hellenic Statistical Authority, Mr. Andreas Georgiou, in support of his endeavour to comply with the high international standards for producing good quality and impartial statistical information about the Greek economy and society.
Dated 5th January 2012
Other relevant information:
- The Third Annual Report of the Good Practice Advisory Committee (GPAC) to the Hellenic Statistical System.
The report presents the status of the implementation of principles 1 to 6 (institutional environment, such as the principles of Professional Independence, and of Impartiality and Objectivity) of the European Statistics Code of Practice in the Greek statistical system, covering the period 2015-2016. The ongoing court case is the major focus of the report on Principle 1, Professional Independence, and a feature of the Report on this occasion is also the inclusion of an appendix detailing the chronology of the court proceedings to-date.
- Second Annual Report of the Good Practice Advisory Committee Hellenic Statistical System.
Many members may be aware of on-going concerns regarding the Greek Statistical System where the head of the office is facing prosecution on issues concerning the integrity of official economic statistics. The Second Annual Report, for the year 2014 from the independent Good Practice Advisory Committee provides a good summary of the current situation.
published in January 2015
- The Good Practice Advisory Committee examined ELSTAT’s implementation of Principles 1 to 6 of the European Statistics Code of Practice and made an overall assessments and recommendations. Read the full report published in September 2013.
- ISI's Position on Methodological Concerns about the Argentine CPI & the Position of Statisticians in Argentina
Dated 29th September 2011
- The supporting letter of the President of ISI to the UN Special Rapporteur
Dated 29th September 2011
- Statement by the ISI about the situation with the Argentine CPI and our colleague statisticians in Argentina
Dated September 2011
- Update on the Situation with the Argentine CPI and Our Statistical Colleagues in Argentina by the Chair of the ISI Advisory Board on Ethics Dennis Trewin and ISI President Jae C Lee
Dated 21st May 2012
- Exchange of letters between the Director of INDEC, Argentina and the Chair of the ISI Advisory Board on Ethics (ABE)
Dated 14th September 2012
- Statement by the IMF Executive Board on Argentina
Dated 18th September 2012
- Letter by the Chair of the Advisory Board on Ethics, Mr Dennis Trewin to the President of the Association Tunisienne pour la Statistique et ses Applications about the dismissal of the head of the National Statistical Institute.
Dated 15th April 2012
Reviews, Other Documents
- “Recent developments concerning the application of the ISI Declaration on Professional Ethics”; paper at the IAOS conference in Kiev, September 2012, by Hallgrímur Snorrason and Dennis Trewin.